Monday Morning Musings – A Busy Weekend

My best hatThis weekend my husband actually had both days off.  It was never my intention to make him work on the weekend. I had arranged for Colton, the young man who mows my lawn, to help me take things out front to have hauled away by a guy that lives in a neighboring community and has come to the house and taken things away twice since we moved here.

I had a bunch of boxes of stuff that had gotten ruined due to water damage in the basement last year. I had put the boxes outside under the three seasons room. It was a horrible mess and all that stuff just sat there for over a year. Well, there is more water damage, this time from the water heater, and that room is again water soaked. This time it ruined a mattress and box springs that I had leaning up against a wall in there. Most everything else in that room is in plastic tubs since the first water leak. I know that I’ll have to empty that room so the carpet can be taken out and the baseboard and some of the paneling replaced. I have no other place to put it. I figured since everything else is in plastic tubs, that for the duration I can sit them outside under the three seasons room but that meant I really had to get rid of all the ruined stuff and I needed to get that king size mattress and box springs out of that room. Saturday I had Colton, with his young strong back, get that bed out of the spare room. My hubby did help him get it out of that room. It was heavy and took a bit of maneuvering to actually get it out of the room. Then I had Coulton take all those boxes of stuff to the drive way. There was so much, I hadn’t realized the quantity of  junk. Since we were getting rid of stuff my husband finally decided to take his old hang gliders apart, get rid of the wing fabric and just keep the aluminum frames to be repurposed at some point. That was quite a bit of work that I really didn’t intend for him to have to do, but, he was taking advantage of my arranged work day.

Not only did we get rid of all the ruined junk there was yard debris from broken branches and the smaller branches of the fallen tree from a little over a month ago all piled in a corner. The young man is always bothered by all the places that he has to mow around and he cleaned it all up. We had a ruined inflatable swimming pool that had a huge tarp under it just sitting crumpled up in the yard and we got rid of the pool, refolded and rolled up the tarp and put it away. My back yard looks much nicer after all that work. I did a lot of it myself but none of the heavy lifting. I simply can’t do that anymore.

When I called, Greg, the man who hauls trash and stuff away, I told him I had a full trailer load.   He brought his big trailer but he already had a couple or three pieces of furniture in it so there wasn’t quite enough room for everything. He actually had to take that trailer full away and drop it off and bring his flatbed trailer to take away the rest of the stuff. But, it’s all gone. The space under the three seasons room is cleared and  when the time comes to rip out the carpet I can put my plastic tubs there  temporarily.

All that work was really much more than my old body is used to and I’m so sore all over from using muscles I’m not used to using. My back is telling me I misused it. Having had two back surgeries, the last of which was 17 years ago and I’m beginning to experience some problems in the areas above and below where my back is fused, I really should be more careful about what I do. Usually I am, but, Saturday I just wanted to get it all done. We worked at it for six to seven hours. As a result, well, my back hurts more than usual. I’ll get over it, maybe. I usually do though it seems I never regain quite as much as I lost each time.

Still, I’m really happy about what we did get done. Next time I call Greg to haul things away it will be to get rid of the aging couch and chair in my living room so I can replace them with something more comfortable. That will just have to wait though. After this I’ll be saving for a trip to a family reunion in late October. It is my in-laws 65th anniversary and as far as I know everyone will be there. That is the plan anyway.

After Saturday I really did not feel like doing much. So Mark and I went to see the new Star Trek movie on Sunday afternoon. Originally we arrived in time for the 1:30 showing but there were no two seats next to each other left for that showing or the 2:00 showing. So we ended up buying tickets for the 4:00 show. Well, we had two and a half hours to wait so we went out to eat, then stopped by Target, talked to a former co-worker, looked for a specific item but didn’t find it and wandered around a bit, left and went to another store found what we were looking for then headed to the theater. It was a good movie. But then I’ve been a Trekkie since I was 13 years old.

That was my weekend, busy, productive and topped of with a nice date.


Grandma Peachy

About grandmapeachy

I am a retired grandmother and amateur quilter. Generally I do not discuss religion and politics with people other than my family and even then I do more listening than talking. Because I dislike confrontation this blog is a way for me to express opinions that I hold on these and other issues without having to delve into controversial discussions with others who may not agree with me. I am also an avid supporter of indie authors. There are a lot of great books that are not available through traditional publishing and I believe that these stories need to be brought to the attention of the reading public.
This entry was posted in Personal Reflections. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s