The Day After: Reflections

Grandma Peachy profile 1I have to say that my 62nd birthday yesterday is probably the most memorable I will ever have. It started out a typical day, getting up with the alarm clock to spend a few minutes with my husband before my daily routine of fixing his breakfast and lunch to go. Just another work day.

The rest of the day got started about 10:00 a.m. with brunch at Le Peep restaurant. My daughter and her family, the two brides and the mother of one all met for a lovely brunch and last minute wedding planning. We only started planning the actual wedding on Sunday the day after they arrived in Omaha on Saturday evening. The extent of planning that had been done prior was choosing wedding dresses and obtaining the items needed for their sand ceremony. We chose to have the wedding at our local park under the picnic awning. Jen had a few items from her planned wedding that did not get used. A guest book, decorations, etc… I had gone grocery shopping on Saturday and while there had purchased paper plates, napkins, cups, table cloths, streamers, and garland for table decorations in the colors the young women had chosen for their wedding colors. The cake was ordered on Saturday or maybe Friday, food was agreed upon. A picnic style reception with Baker’s chicken, potato salad, cole slaw and my daughter-in-law made some of her wonderful jello wedding salad.  On Sunday I had done some internet research to develop a script for the wedding. After putting it together and having the young women look it over they decided it was perfect.

Our family is really a built in wedding party, we have a grade school aged flower girl, a preschool age ring bearer, I am legally able to officiate weddings, my husband served as the filmographer on his iPhone, Jen participated in a reading during the ceremony and coordinated the children in their part of the ceremony. My son and his family serve as great guests, toddler and baby included. My son-in-law was willing to do the set-up of decorations prior to the wedding party arriving at the park.

During discussions at the brunch we realized that there was no cute little pillow for the rings. So after a quick trip to the grocery store for necessities for my husband’s lunches this week, at home Coral and I whipped up a cute little ring pillow in the wedding colors in less than an hour. A heart shaped pillow about 6-8 inches wide with pretty lace around it and ribbons that matched the lace for the rings to be tied on. It really turned out cute. Too bad I forgot to take a picture. I also decorated and made a cushion for the bottom of the basket I pulled out of my sewing room to use for the flower petals for the flower girl to strew along the path. Quick, easy, additions to make the occasion special.

The wedding didn’t get started as soon as we had originally planned. It took a bit longer than planned to pick up the cake and food, set up the camera and instruct the camera person how to use it. The mother of one bride operated the other bride’s camera, she’s a professional photographer. But once everything was set up and ready, Cody acted as the DJ and set the wedding march going, the flower girl walked down the path tossing rose petals, the ring bearer solemnly walked behind her, the brides came in together.

That was when my part started and because there were mostly just my own family and these two lovely young women and a mom I had no issue with stage freight that occasionally happens when I speak in front of a group of people. The ceremony was beautiful and went pretty smoothly. Yeah, I had to read my script, but, that was okay. I still was able to look the couple in the eye and make if very personal. Afterward my family told me I really sounded official. I was going for sincere. I guess official will do.

The picnic style reception was perfect for the occasion. picnic recpetion 2 picnic receptionAfter the main food was the cutting and serving of the wedding cake. That was fun, like most wedding receptions the brides tried to smash that first piece of cake into each other’s face. It was funny and there was a lot of laughter all around.  After making sure all the official documents were properly signed and dated and everyone had enough cake I was exhausted. Mark and I went home, sat for awhile. After everyone else came back to the house and we said our farewells to the newly wed’s and wished them safe travels I got ready for bed and collapsed, exhausted, from a very busy day.

On reflection, maybe I should go into business as a last minute, low budget, wedding planner. Not enough people for a wedding party, I have a built in wedding party, for a bit extra we will fill the necessary roles. (Smile) It’s a thought.


Grandma Peachy


About grandmapeachy

I am a retired grandmother and amateur quilter. Generally I do not discuss religion and politics with people other than my family and even then I do more listening than talking. Because I dislike confrontation this blog is a way for me to express opinions that I hold on these and other issues without having to delve into controversial discussions with others who may not agree with me. I am also an avid supporter of indie authors. There are a lot of great books that are not available through traditional publishing and I believe that these stories need to be brought to the attention of the reading public.
This entry was posted in Personal Reflections. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Day After: Reflections

  1. Patricia Rose says:

    How wonderful!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s